By Pastor Scott
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar. - Proverbs 30:5-6 NKJV
Today we finish our month-long daily devotional through Proverbs. There is so much wisdom in Proverbs. I believe you could go through it daily your whole lifetime and still come out with something fresh each day.
Verse 5 and 6 is what I want to finish this month on as it reveals to us a deeper truth about the value of the complete Word of God for the believer. From these verses we can see that the scriptures we have been given are complete. Beginning at creation in Genesis and finishing at the final Revelation, God has laid out for us everything we need to know. There is no need for a new revelation to enlighten us, something I addressed from Jude on Sunday.
We do however need the Holy Spirit to bring us understanding and insight into what we do have, but we don’t need anyone trying to “add to His words” as that would be based on lies verse 6 tells us.
The second thing is, “Every word of God is pure”. In other words, you also can’t take away from His Word as there are no impurities. Look how David describes it:
Psalms 12:6-7 NKJV
(6) The words of the LORD are pure words, Like silver tried in a furnace of earth, Purified seven times.
(7) You shall keep them, O LORD, You shall preserve them from this generation forever.
God’s Word is tested and proven, and has been preserved for us in our generation.
Paul instructs the believer:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV
(16) All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
(17) that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
God’s Word is complete and makes us complete. Let’s diligently apply ourselves to the Word of God as a church.
I want to finish on this last verse which I would encourage you to dwell on and pray through. Verse 30 is a replica to Provers 30 verse 5. Compare them and then read on.
Psalms 18:30-32 NKJV
(30) As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
(31) For who is God, except the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?
(32) It is God who arms me with strength, And makes my way perfect.